1) Local Food Efforts
Purchase of 10 stainless steel dehydrators for use by Salt Springers. Five available at Natureworks for $15 per week/
2) International Efforts
- a) Seeds For Malawi – $500 towards the education of young women in Malawi, Africa.
- b) Solar Cookers for Lesotho, South Africa – $400 bought 3 cookers
3) The Rex Welland Memorial Apple Festival Bursary.
- a) $600 – Erin Harper (Travel to India for Organic Farming and Seed Saving.)
- b) $600 – Una Conradfi (Graduating Student 2012 at GISS)
- c) $600 – Leh Smallshaw (Graduating Student 2012 at GISS)
- d) $500 – Kyle Yun (Graduating Student 2013 at GISS)
4) Thank A Salt Springer Awards ($100 each)
- a) BARRY DUNSTER –2011
- b) David McEachern–2011
- c) JAN SLAKOV- -2011
- d) MARSHA BOLDBERG- -2011
- e) REG, the Street Cleaner -2011
- f) Tai Whelan- 2012
- g) Lorraine Lowry-2012
5) Support to Local Artists
- a) $75 – Cindy Jacobsen –the creation of the Apple Festival Channel on Youtube
- b) $500 – Briony Penn as a catalyst to create an Apple Poster of Salt Spring Island.
- c) Creation of a Salt Spring Apple Festival brochure by Diana Morris
6) Additional Efforts
1) Creation of a new website: saltspringapplefestival.org
2) Supported the visit of Dr. Bob Norton, from Seattle, Washington to help with Apple ID at the 2011 Salt Spring Apple Festival.
Rex Welland Memorial Fund
In 2013, the Salt Spring Island Apple Festival awarded a Rex Welland Memorial Bursary to Kai Adams